

Minutes of ExComm Meeting August 4, 2012 held at home of Ronan Heffernan

Present: Thomas Thomas, Sylvia Zadorozny, Kathy Crum, Ronan Heffernan, Barbara Loewe, Audrey Silver, Forrest Ford, Melissa Stephens, Art Schwartz

Absent: Dan Chesnut

Other Officers: Jay Johnson

This is the first meeting of the 2012/2013 ExComm comprised of: Thomas Thomas, Kathy Crum, Ronan Heffernan, Barbara Loewe, Audrey Silver, Forrest Ford, Melissa Stephens, ArtSchwartz, Dan Chesnut

Meeting called to order 2:22pm by Thomas Thomas.

Minutes:

The Minutes as previously sent to all members was accepted.

Elections and Appointments:

The following appointments were nominated and voted in by the ExComm Members:

LocSec: Ronan Heffernan, TT, MS. Ronan Heffernan accepts the position of LocSec.

(Scribe note) The meeting was turned over to Ronan Heffernan.

Scribe: Sylvia Zadorozny, RH, BL. Sylvia Zadorozny accepts the position of Scribe. Jay Johnson will finish this meeting.

Deputy LocSec: Art Schwartz, BL, TT. Art Schwartz accepts the position of Deputy LocSec.

Treasurer: Kathy Crum, BL, ArtS: Kathy Crum accepts position of Treasurer.

Testing Coordinator: Thomas Thomas KC, BL. Thomas Thomas accepts the position of Testing Coordinator.

Gifted Children Coordinator: Melissa Stephens. Melissa Stephens accepts the position of GCC.

Publicity Officer: Audrey Silver, BL. Audrey Silver accepts the position of Publicity Officer.

Programs Coordinator: Melissa Stephens, ArtS. Melissa Stephens accepts the position of Programs Coordinator.

Calendar Editor: Deferred.

Editor: Ronan Heffernan by acclamation. Ronan Heffernan accepts position of Editor.

Webmaster: Ronan Heffernan by acclamation. Ronan Heffernan accepts position of Webmaster.

Membership Officer: Thomas Thomas. Thomas Thomas accepts the position of Membership Officer.

Circulation: Deferred.

Scholarship Chair:

TT: We had to appoint a Chair by August 1 in order to be in the program for 2013. Right now my name is on it. I would like to switch that over to someone else. There is a lot involved with doing this job; we need publicity, to get stuff out to the schools, let schools and students know something is happening. It is a substantial position. The Scholarship Officer makes sure publicity gets out, deadlines are met, essays received, read and judged – there are instructions on judging. Information has to be sent back to National Foundation. The officer signs an agreement saying he will make no announcements until the Foundation announces. There is a structure behind that job which must be followed as opposed to other jobs which may have more autonomy. It can be done with the computer, emails and letters, no phone calls. The Officer will most likely communicate with the guidance counselors at the schools, and now students can submit their essays online.

JJ: I have judged the past 2 years.

RH: I will read as well.

Forrest Ford accepts the position of Scholarship Chair.

SIGHT Coordinator: Susie Anderson will be reappointed as SIGHT Coordinator.

Publisher: Les Milewski will be reappointed Publisher.

Auditor: Dan Chesnut is appointed auditor. Jay Johnson will assist.

Assistant:

Treasurer: Dan Chesnut is appointed Assistant Treasurer.

Assistant Editor: Forrest Ford accepts position of Assistant Editor. Jay Johnson accepts the position of Assistant Editor-Proofreading.

Assistant Circulation Officer: Art Schwartz accepts the position of Assistant Circulation Officer.

Assistant Webmaster: Thomas Thomas accepts the position of Assistant Webmaster.

Assistant GCC: Forrest Ford accepts the position of Assistant GCC.

Assistant Calendar Editor: Deferred.

Assistant Scribe: Jay Johnson accepts the position of Assistant Scribe.

Assistant Membership Officer: Art Schwartz accepts the position of Assistant Membership Officer.

Assistant Publicity Officer: Empty.

Volunteers Coordinator: Thomas Thomas accepts position of Volunteers Coordinator.

Assistant Scholarship Chair: Melissa Stephens and Ronan Heffernan accept the position of Assistant Scholarship Chair.

Election Supervisor: Jay Johnson accepts the position of Election Supervisor. The committee will be Sylvia Zadorozny and Eloise Hurst.

Editorial Board: Melissa Stephens, Thomas Thomas, Audrey Silver and Jay Johnson accept the position of Editorial Board.

Reports:

Election Supervisor Report:

JJ: The last day to accept ballots was June 16 and on June 17 the Election Committee composed of Eloise Hurst, Cindy Weatherby and Jay Johnson met for the ballot count. Within 3 days all candidates and write-ins were notified of the results by phone or email. All elected candidates accepted. I notified the ExComm by email of the full results. The ballots and envelopes will be held for an additional 30 days and will then be shredded. I prepared a Job Description of Election Supervisor for the next chairperson. Following the designation of jobs and responsibilities, I will prepare a final report for *Sounding*.

Scribe:

JJ: The Minutes of the ExComm meeting of June 9 were sent to the members a week before this meeting. Actions from that meeting were sent to the Editor for inclusion in *Sounding*. There were no calls for Scribe since the last meeting. I have prepared a Job Description for the next Scribe.

Treasurer:

KC: On the Inflows, not much has changed since the last report other than national support went up. Thanks to our CultureQuest team \$55 came into the Scholarship Fund. We had some testing that we got paid for. That is the main changes in Income and we made .14¢ interest. On Outflows, everything is the same, not a lot has happened since the last meeting. 59% of the year has lapsed. The Google AdWords are high because we did not budget for that. We are up \$1900 for this year. The next page shows at the bottom the transfer where I closed the 5th 3rd and put it in Wells Fargo. Itemized Categories is the breakdown for all items on the budget.

I went to Wells Fargo about the bank account that they are now charging \$2 a month for images and I asked about a new account; they gave me documents. Then they wanted more. I have to get a letter from National and when I get it I will go back to Wells Fargo and get the account changed. This is the same account we have had for years, but the banks have changed and that is the problem.

TT: We need to put Ronan on as a signatory. With the PATRIOT Act, they won't even talk to me anymore. The national office is working with the groups because they understand the problems that the groups are having with the banks because they want to avoid closing and opening accounts.

Testing Coordinator:

TT: I have sent invitations to another 100 people regarding the test. Most of these people have received information before because they are on the list of more than 600 prospects from national. There is a new program national is piloting: Each group gets an additional \$25 if they do a test in a month to help offset the cost of location because most people are finding they can't find free spaces. This is an offset. Jay and I are doing fine finding spaces so far. We did get one test in July and one in August so we should be getting our bonuses on those. My thought is that it might not be a bad idea to let some of that accumulate and then rent a place for a large test where we could do a big push. Instead of relying on people coming to us we go out to the papers. We would have to have a place rented because we don't want to have a problem charging. We rent a place, schedule it out far enough in advance and do the publicity. There are some places prospects don't want to go including places where they feel pressure to buy or join something.

RH: We might be able to use corporate facilities, Nielson might let us in.

ArtS: We could do it at the Winter Social, do it before and then allow them to enjoy the day. We could make it a habit that if we are going to have a large event we have a test, just as we do at the RG.

TT: I am going to need more proctors. We lost one in the Brandon Area and one in the Sun City area, Jay is the only one left.

AudS: Just let me know in advance about what you need for publicity.

JJ: I am always glad to proctor a test.

Scholarship:

TT: (Interim) I signed us up for 2013.

Publicity:

AudS: Nothing to report. If you communicate with me and give me a little lead time I would be happy to set something up.

FF: If they get a postcard inviting them to a test, perhaps they should get a phone call.

TT: They get emails from us. When they go to national they get lots of things.

At the national retreat we talked about proctors. National thinks we should have one for every 50 members. I would be happy with just 4 total. It was mentioned that some people are being recommended who should not be. A proctor is like the Welcome Wagon of Mensa and should have a good appearance and good communication skills. Many members do not have a college degree and they use Mensa as an alternative qualification, but that limits our pool for proctors.

Programs:

ArtS: I got zero response for the kayak trip. I even sent emails and still got no response. I could change the age limits or make it open to everyone, but that would change the focus. I think this is an underserved group. What about perhaps creating a form to get feedback from kids? A page of *Sounding* to fill in what activities they want to participate in, what times they are available. A whole page, anything like that. I could try to mock something up and see if that gets us anywhere. I would love to see a good email list to target that age group.

TT: GCC has that and we are not allowed to do anything different.

MS: I don't have control of the email list, but I will put in a statement asking all parents to sign-up their children. We had a Mommies' Group a few days ago, we had 3 kids. One mom invited me to the New Port Richie GCC in 2 months which may open up more possibilities.

Calendar Editor:

SZ: There is very little for the editor to do. Everyone puts in and controls their own stuff. We don't really even need a contact person.

RH: An editor is a nice double-check. We have to make sure someone keeps up with cancellations.

Discussion: It depends on what the Calendar Editor wants to do. Some actually edit the entries so they are not the same one month after the next. Don't need an editor any more. Put in a contact name. Don't want to make more work for *Sounding* editor. Nice safeguard to have. Calendar Editor is part of bylaws, but doesn't have to be.

Editor:

RH: Everything is running smoothly, we already have several contributions for the August issue. I am (quietly) looking for a new Editor, if anyone knows of an interested volunteer. I expect that we will have the PDQ files from National in a week or so, to put together this year's Crewe List.

We should revise the Member Handbook again one of these days (add FaceBook, update

continuing events, add RG and officer history, etc.) The Membership Officer has been ordering handbooks as-needed, not in one annual batch, so there is no real timing or ordering constraint to drive the schedule.

Webmaster:

RH: Only minor changes have been made (mostly for performance) in the last two months. I have been adjusting our advertising spending to average-out to the \$40/month that we authorized:

April: \$36.27

May: \$51.58

June: \$22.58

July: \$42.59

Membership:

TT: We have 678 members which is 22 short of last year. We did not do the lapsed members this year. It doesn't mean we still can't go after lapsed members, but we won't get reimbursed for them. We do need to try to get as many of them back in, there are a few still active, just not paying their dues. In all our contacts we ask for feedback: "If you decide to not renew, why?"

FF: If there was a national donation for people who can't afford membership, people could make donations anonymously.

TT: National won't go for it. The whole purpose of having dues is because dues are affordable. They feel they have people who are paying because they want to be a member. We have done that in this group in the past where we would help a member if they asked, and the one time we did it, we were paid back. We would be doing it with our operating funds and it is problematic. How do you get around people who say they can't afford it vs. those who truly can't afford it? How do you police something like that? People who are not rejoining are not because they can't afford it. Other groups are having the same kind of problem – members who have not paid up. Access to other members is a benefit of paid members.

Circulation:

ArtS: Everything is going okay.

KC: I need to put more money in that account because it is less than \$100. I won't put in as much as I usually do because our expenses are less and I don't want to tie up money that long.

RH: We don't pay an annual fee for that, do we? (no)

LocSec: (present)

RH: No report.

LocSec: (past)

TT: I went to the Leadership Summit at the AG where they gave me all kinds of homework. They want to know what our action plan will be for the next year. I didn't want to commit us to a report and then say, "Here, Ronan, this is what you are going to be doing." I picked up our team CultureQuest Certificate. Now I have to get everyone on the team at the Social so we can get them to pose for a picture with it. Other than all the other things, all the jobs I did are offshoots of LocSec.

Members-at-Large:

BL: No report.

RG 2013:

TT: The contract is signed, we are going to the Holiday Inn at Clearwater/St. Pete Airport on Ulmerton. It is a nice facility. It is technically handicapped-accessible but I worry a little about the entrance to the hospitality because a wheelchair can get in but a scooter probably cannot.

Discussion: Scooters and wheelchairs.

As much as they can, they are going to put us on the same floor. It is tentatively going to be called "The Solar enRG". It seems to fit for Florida Memorial Day Weekend. We have a member who is an installer so we could tie it in. I want to get this into Bulletin before Labor Day, it should be in the November issue.

Summer Social:

MS: We have it set up for the University Community Center. Postcards have not been sent yet; I hope to have that by Monday. We have a speaker, and a second who is a science-rapper. We will have BBQ and I have a quote: Chicken and pork, \$529 for 45 people, over \$10 a plate. He will accept the check on the day he delivers.

Discussion: Wait before we order to see how many reservations we get. Just a week away, can't wait. Getting labels. Do email? Put it on Monday Announcement, FaceBook. New restrictions re: FaceBook. How to get postcards organized. Thomas checks our previous price – much cheaper.

They want to charge \$600 for the facility, we can get it free for considerations. For our event we are going to do a 3-day, 4-5 hour scholarship training for kids. They are going to do the publicity, scheduling, insurance, we just have to step up and do it. Do it as a service event.

Fall Picnic:

RH: Sometime in October, no set date yet, at Lithia.

Old Business:

Winter Social:

ArtS: I haven't done much with it. I wanted to use the same facility but we can't afford it. I don't think 5 hours of service is a big deal, something we should be doing anyhow. Are we absolutely committed to indoors? The reason is outdoor places are cheap.

SZ: There is that park in New Port Richey where we rent a cabin, we could do that. It would be indoors and would be cheap.

Discussion: Get Barbara to use her handicap card to make an advance reservation. Don't have to live in Pasco to get it. Number of people in each cabin. If weather is nice we go outdoors.

High cost of the BBQ. Alternatives.

New Business:

Circulation Officer Issue:

ArtS: It has become a very difficult job. I work weekends and am on call, I have no family time. Post office deliveries are difficult because I can't take off the time. I can't promise I will make the delivery when I say I will. Suggestion: Ronan suggested we go to a more extensive method of mailing. The other thing is to divide the responsibility up. I would like to commit to doing it every other month. If something comes up I would have a contact. I'm assuming no one wants the job but perhaps we can have multiple people sharing the responsibility or else bite the bullet and pay to outsource.

RH: It doubles the cost and adds \$400 on top.

TT: We have been relying on the people who are here to find a Circulation Officer. This is something that is a very site-specific responsibility: we need someone to deliver it to the post office in St. Pete. If I get a list of those in St. Pete and contact them, actually call members and say “thank you for being a member, we notice you live in the area where we have to deliver the newsletters. Would you be willing to help us out with delivery?” Maybe we can find someone that way – doing something, going outside our comfort zone to get volunteers.

Discussion: We could change to the Sligh location. We reimburse for gas. We are covered for this month. Don't like to call and strong-arm. Ask someone who gets a paper copy. December is going to be a difficult month for Art.

Bylaws:

TT: We got a response on the bylaws, they gave us a long list of objections. There is still an opportunity to take 'Calendar Editor' out but for now we are still operating under the old bylaws. It will take 3 months after we get them back before we can put them on our ballot. We can always appoint officers who are not specified in the by laws so taking it out gives us discretion.

Next Meeting:

October 6, 1:00pm at home of Barbara Loewe, University Village (behind University Mall) 12401 North 22nd St., Tampa 33612. 813-968-3343. Tell the gate person you are going to Barbara Loewe's meeting.

Motion to adjourn: KC.

Meeting adjourned 4:40pm

Jay Johnson, Scribe