

Tampa Bay ExComm Meeting Minutes, February 20, 2011 held at home of Fran Orenstein.

Present: Sylvia Zadorozny, Thomas Thomas, Kathy Crum, Barbara Loewe, Eloise Hurst, Erica Rogers

Absent: Maxine Kushner, Melissa Stephens, Ronan Heffernan

Officers: Fran Orenstein, Jay Johnson

Meeting called to order 12:19pm

Minutes:

Motion: To approve the Minutes as previously submitted. BL, second ER. Passed

Reports:

Scribe:

JJ: Appended.

Treasurer:

KC: End of the Year Report: Advertising Income was down about half what we projected. Contributions to *Sounding* and Scholarship were also down. If we decide to push this I can set something up with Pay Pal online. Proctor Revenue is down because we did so well the previous year. Outflows: The \$2 is a Checking Statement fee that Wachovia Bank is assessing monthly. Member Handbooks came in at \$455, and will be another budget item. Refreshments are lower than expected possibly because people are holding events where they do not need reimbursement, or are just not requesting it. We budgeted for 4 socials; we had only 3, and that will be another budget item. Postage is right on track. Printing costs were down significantly – we projected \$350/month based on the averages for the past few years, our costs were down to an average of \$200/month. That comes from Office Depot coupons, rebates, and smaller *Sounding*. In the end we lost \$3500 on the RG and lost \$2600 over the year.

Page 2 is the same information; it shows the transfer between Wachovia and 5th 3rd Bank accounts, and the mail account.

Account Balances reflect the loss. You can see the CD was moved into the Wachovia account so there is no CD, just cash in the account.

Itemized Categories follow that. That is the end of the 2010 Budget Report.

SZ: On RG detail, expenses were \$7309, registrations were \$6144, so ignoring miscellaneous, we didn't even cover our food? (Our overall RG expenses were substantially more than the \$7309 for food.)

KC: Yes.

Proctor Coordinator:

FO: Appended.

TT: I have 5 people who have confirmed who want to come Thursday, and one at a later date. I expect we will be getting more names.

FO: I have gone through what I received from Mensa.

I want to talk about Jay holding tests at her home.

Discussion: When, consequences if something goes wrong, insurance.

JJ: I will set up one week evening a month, and one Saturday morning every other month.

Scholarship:

Theresa (Hohmann) is not here.

JJ: Terry Wolfe, Ronan Heffernan, Maran Fulvi and I received 19 essays to evaluate. Of those, 7 were accelerated to National. I have no further information.

Publicity:

Melissa is not here.

Programs:

Melissa is not here.

Calendar:

EH: All is going along well. I am getting submissions. Theresa has access to it now. We need to cancel Barbara's game night on the Calendar.

Editor:

Ronan is not here.

Circulation:

TT: We have a growing number of electronic delivery requests. Of the 8 new members that supplied email addresses, 6 are taking electronic delivery. There is a proposal at National, just in the proposal phase, that they want to make 'electronic' as the default. Not known if for all members or new members only, it is still in discussion. If you have an opinion, let Mel Dahl know. I believe it will be as new members come on, they will have the default to 'electronic'.

Deputy LocSec:

TT: I went to the Winter and Summer RGs in Orlando and Valen-Time in Destin and pushed our RG. I am head of PRP which is taking up a lot of my time. Deadline for all submissions is end of the month and electronic submissions are acceptable. If you have any petitions to go to the LocSec and Editor, do it quickly.

LocSec:

SZ: We have new events – A Shakespeare Watch and a Games Weekend coming up. I went to the RG in Orlando and announced and distributed fliers for our RG. Everything else is in my column.

SZ: Any other reports? (no)

Committee Reports:

RG 2011

TT: I have been getting notices out, the fliers, and the budget put together. Theresa has gotten Jack Brawner to commit to a Treasure Hunt. Kathy McDonald has volunteered to put together the registration packets. Art Schwartz will do Games. Charlie Steinhice will not do Trash Bowl, but he said he will put together some questions.

BL: Are the room prices correct as published?

TT: As I understand it, the room rate is the same as it was 3 years ago, \$79/89.

BL: It should be \$79. I negotiated something different, the contract should show it.

TT: Melissa has been dealing with the hotel and I don't know the status.

SZ: I signed the contract.

BL: If you need any help let me know.

TT: I expect I will be the Hospitality person unless I can get someone else.

BL: If you tell me what you want I will get prices for you. If we are going to the Spaghetti Warehouse we should reserve that soon.

SZ: People liked that a lot, they mentioned it at Orlando.

TT: It is an option. It is nice, but there is so much to do we might want to try other things.

SZ: We need to put our RG on our Calendar. Eloise can pull the information off the registration page.

We also need to get it to the other editors so they can put it into their newsletters.

TT: The April and May newsletters will be plenty of time. .

TT: The LocSec also needs to send it to National.

Discussion: Logistics of sending it to National.

Mensa Secret Domination Techniques:

SZ: We met a few times. Now that Ronan is going to be away for a month, April 2 is no longer doable.

Discussion: What, exactly, is it, budget, location, date. Not during RG. Maybe IHOP? Benefits of a library. Overnight?

SZ: We have to move it off April 2. National is asking me about it, they sent something to Ronan. I have to get back with him and Melissa.

By-Laws:

TT: We haven't met. We decided to wait until National By-laws come out. The committee was my idea so I suppose I am in charge but we haven't met so there is no report.

SZ: I am concerned, we have these committees but they aren't meeting, no one is in charge, no one reports.

Annual Meeting:

BL: We were going to meet at the Summer Social but I think we should wait until after the new board so after the Summer Social. Erica and I can probably figure out how to handle the Annual Meeting.

SZ: Terry (Wolfe) is looking around for locations in Hillsborough.

Old Business:

Retreat:

TT: We discussed if we should be doing this with the new board. It should be the first thing we do after the election. We will be looking at July. Then if we are doing a Summer Social in August we will have something to report at the Annual Meeting. I don't think we have anyone in charge of that yet, no one to report.

Appoint Election Chair:

ER: Kyle is not interested in chairing; I did not talk to Jim.

Discussion: How is Chair appointed? Jay is de facto chair.

Election:

SZ: I believe Barbara, Eloise, Maxine, Ronan, Thomas and Erica are eligible for reelection.

Assistants to Key Positions:

SZ: We are still looking for an Editor Assistant, I cannot do backup for Ronan.

FO: Do you put this out in *Sounding*?

SZ: I have in the past and got no response. It may be time for me to do it again.

Spring Picnic:

SZ: Maxine is going to do it. She suggests April 10th, at Lettuce Lake. She will do postcards.

Bay Sounding (magazine)

TT: I mentioned it to Mel, we will work it out. I do want to know what our options are and I don't want to drop it.

New Business:

SZ: Ronan brought up lapsed-member mailing. Because it is 2 months before we meet again I think we should get started now.

Discussion: How to apportion the list, what kind of contact, who will work on it. Depending on the number, Fran will do calls, Erica will do mail. Working it into the budget.

Define "Excused Absence"

JJ: Today Maxine has 3 absences in a row, Ronan has two. Melissa has 2 separate absences. Is it enough to call before the meeting and say I don't feel so great and it is excused, or does it have to be surgery or business in Australia? I want to know so I can keep the absence report correctly.

TT: The absence has to be excused by the ExComm.

FO: But how do you know?

TT: Calling in if you just get sick that day is one thing, but there are two different things going on. Missing 3 meetings during a 12-month period unless excused is one thing, missing 3 in a row does not include excused is the other. According to the by-laws Maxine has 3 absences in a row and is therefore automatically resigned.

Ronan has 2 in a row excused. I think excused is case-by-case by the ExComm as it happens. We knew Ronan was going to be in Australia so I would go with that as excused. Melissa asked me for a ride on Friday night for this meeting, she is not excused for this absence.

BL: In Maxine's case, I would like to move that she be reinstated as a good show of faith.

EH: Why do we want to reinstate anyone who has no commitment?

BL: We don't have anyone to take her place, we don't have to fill the vacancy until the next meeting and then there will be just the election meeting left. The main thing is to assure we can get a quorum.

SZ: I will notify her, and if she shows up she can be reinstated. I will contact her.

New Member Handbooks:

SZ: Ronan wanted at least 30.

KC: I budgeted 100-120.

Motion: To authorize Ronan to print out handbooks up to 120. TT, second EH. Passed.

Summer Social:

ER: We have a budget of \$500. Barbara will guide me and at the next meeting we will have a location and lineup.

Proposed Budget 2011:

KC: I have two budget proposals, one with 3 socials and one with 4 at \$500 each. If we budget for 4 socials and everything else remains the same we would have to profit \$581 from the RG to balance. Going down line by line, here are the changes: Advertising, I kept the same, maybe a bit more. Interest Income, probably one month came from the CD, but this year we won't get anything because of the low rates. I added Mensa Domination Techniques, we will get reimbursed for that but it is balanced to the same amount in expenses. National Support is right in line for what we budgeted last year and I expect no change. Proctor revenue, we had budgeted high in 2010, it may yet go up. Contributions for Scholarships, I really think we need to push that. This year we got \$25, we usually get \$200 a year. Granted, bad economy, but we are awarding a scholarship. Teen-SIG, I left in because we had it last year even if we didn't do anything with it. Subscriptions, I have one. Outflows: Cost of Proctoring, in case we run into anything. Fees, parking etc are all going into Fees. Miscellaneous Handbooks is where I budgeted for 100-120, Ronan said they were \$4 or 5 a piece. That is significantly higher than we had budgeted before. Miscellaneous Postage, that is when Ronan sends out New Member packets, when we have to send stuff to National. Cost of Secret Domination is balanced from income from National. Publicity is \$50 in case we need it. Refreshments, I brought this down because we didn't need it, it usually goes up and down. New line item: ExComm Retreat, I budgeted \$500, we may need more or less. Socials, 4 a year at \$500 each. Postage, I don't know of any rate increases for what we send. *Sounding* printing, we have been doing \$350 a month so I brought that down to \$225 closer to our average. Not printing the Crewe List has helped a lot. In order to balance our RG profit has to be \$541, and all else being equal, with one less social we need \$41.

TT: There have been rumblings at national level asking the various groups how much money do they have in their accounts to determine what kind of support local groups really need from National Office because they are looking for places to cut back because they are having unsupportable shortfalls at the national level. Nothing has been decided but they are talking and that is not good because there are many who do not have much in their budget. We have a lot of money. We should not have as much money as we are holding on to. That money is for the members. Having a zero-budget may not be where we want to be right now.

SZ: Normally I would agree with you but we have lost money, close to \$7000 in the last 2 years. We need the surplus to cover our RG losses.

TT: That is not membership. We lost money because of the realities of hotel management with regard to the food, etc. We are not going back to the beach, we are going to go back to what we did and what people were used to – pizza, chicken, rather than the fancy stuff. The problem is we are running into budgeting problems with the RG and that is an RG problem. That is why I say put the money in socials.

Discussion: Do we have people to run socials? Better to budget it in anyhow. Attendance.

Motion: To accept the Proposed Budget 2011 with 4 socials. BL, second TT.

SZ: Change the one line of Secret Domination to \$1000 in and out.

Motion passed as amended.

Year to Date Report:

KC: I have a deposit to make that is not included in this report; it is \$590 for registrations, and one Sounding subscription. January interest income was 56¢. National Support is fine. Proctor Revenue is getting there; it usually runs about 2 months behind. Outflows is the \$2 bank statement fee. Miscellaneous Expenses is driving to the post office. Miscellaneous postage is Ronan sending stuff. Printing is extra Crewe Lists. Refreshments were ExComm, games, etc. I am sending another check to the post office to beef it up a little. Cash flow hasn't changed much from what it was end of 2010, and does reflect the deposit.

One thing is not budgeted – Equipment List. Dan sent me the updated list, I will email it to everyone. Thomas has most everything, I have the other stuff.

Next meeting:

JJ: I cannot do Saturdays April 9 or 22. Discussion.

TT: Ronan is putting a boilerplate announcement into every Sounding with the information to the next ExComm. Perhaps we should be planning two meetings ahead.

Discussion. June meeting is already set by election.

SZ: The next meeting will be held Sunday, April 3, 3:00pm at home of Sylvia Zadorozny.

Motion: To adjourn. TT, second KC. Passed.

Meeting adjourned 2:25pm.

Submitted by Jay Johnson